Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Daddy, I Want It All



 I stopped and thought about the word "glean" it means to take, extract, and gather from various sources.  It hit me that I've been a gleaner my whole life. I love to learn and am at a heart a nerd that loves to read, write, and seek knowledge.  I treasure scripture snippets, quotes, and have a plethora of trivial worldy knowledge from song lyrics, art, tv shows, and movies.

About five years ago I felt like God was telling me to "mentor" as there were so many changes going on in my world and the lives of others. I felt ill equipped and had prayed and petitioned the Lord to help and he told me to "mentor".  I laughed because the thought of "mentor" to my heart was like a spiritual guru or someone that was one of those bright, shiny people.  It didn't mean this girl that had lived an imperfect at best life.  I'm bold, sassy, and have spunk, Lord, but fluidity of words doesn't flow except on paper for me.  I cuss, Lord, you know it, hear it and many times roll those gracious eyes my direction.  I'm loud, Abba, and most the time unrestrained with my actions and words...yeah, I'm a wild card, and you want me to "mentor"?

I did "mentor" for a short season but I never had a chance to really define that. Within six months I had a cancer diagnosis, my darling dot had a seizure in college, and my life was turned upside down. Within two weeks of starting radiation I realized that I couldn't joke cancer away or pretend any longer and I needed my daddy, my Heavenly Daddy.  I'd been writing in my journal for two weeks like a crazy person and he responded with "you know me, have always known me, Sherry, you are mine".  Then a couple of weeks later as I started chemo with radiation I heard "you are mine and have no idea what I can do with you know that you know the truth.  Do what they say, rest, rest, and rest for I know what you will be used to do in the future".  And, yeah, like the indignant Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka I wanted more, more details & I had suggestions. Those details came in what I called "crazy chemo dreams" that I wrote about in my journal but didn't realize that they were the answers that I pleaded for until last year.

Fast forward to five years later and here I am alive and kicking.  Some days are better than others and easier and others complicated. And, the word "mentor" is being used again in circles that surround me.  I've learned to free fall with the Lord this fall.  To allow him to take care of incidentals, hiccups, and remain silent, diligent, and glean what He is gifting in words, people, and places.  I feel Him orchestrating my heart's aspirations; to teach, mentor, and glean so that I would be radiant light to others that is Him.

This blog post started as a chance to update and share that I wrote lesson plans for TSMKC for the kids at the fall conference.  In honesty its what I know to do, what my mama sent me to college for, and is comfortable because I know a classroom so well it is like home.  At the event I was blessed to have a friend from church help me and ask if they could use my "plans" for the kids at church and would I help to implement them.  That simple ask filled in some of my brokenness from 5 years ago.  It filled in the hurt, distraction, and loss that I felt at not knowing a realization of "mentor" was. It made me realize what I would describe as "scraps" because I used those lessons were far more.  That those "scraps" could be gleaned for God's glory.  Those "scraps" that I wrote after praying over and listening to God were something of value that would glorify God in ways I hadn't imagined.

Then last night I had a meeting with a friend that has encouraged me to define "mentor" and to think beyond a classroom or kids to teens and adults.  How would that look, what would I do, and who would I radiate light. It is the chance to see what I do beyond a classroom setting and that is challenging yet so very, very breath taking. It takes me back to when "mentor" was on my mind and I didn't know what exactly to do.  It allows me to see myself not as ; Veruca Salt, spunky, or sassy but as a beloved daughter of the Father.  That daughter that isn't cut from a worldly mold of bright and shiny. She is sassy, spunky, and bold enough to ask the Father for favor upon her children, home, and friends.  She petitions the Lord on behalf of others and is relentless...yes, I'm quite I picketer of sorts, friends. 

I am encouraged this morning & would ask for you to; encourage yourself by claiming victory as you are alive and kicking, give some praise for the moments (for example; cleaning up the hubs toothpaste in the sink leads me to praise the Lord for my hubs & restoration), and to seek solace in the Father as you petition aka demand favor, hope, mercy, and grace for yourself, your family, and your community.  As I write that my heart fills as I hear "I'm on it"...thank you Abba. 

Peace be with you- Sherry


Updates:


  • Emily checked in with Dr. Seeley last week after changing her meds and having two seizures in the past couple of weeks.  He has increased her meds and said he felt encouraged that she had went a month before those seizures had happened. 
  • Dale, oh, my sonshine. He and I have been kindred souls since day one.  He came home to help his mama with the kiddos at TSMKC conference a couple of weeks ago. On his was back to college he had car problems .  By grace the hubs and a friend went to rescue him. It was late and he had a deadline of midnight for an assignment.  As he turned on the highway to Maryville he realized the time and fear set in that his assignment would be late.  You can probably guess it, he got a big ticket and has to appear in court on October 30 in Maryville.  The sonshine that is the calm in the storm is now in the eye of his very own storm.  He has called the prosecuting attorneys office to ask for help so his parents can pay the tickets, that the charges be reduced so our insurance doesn't go up, and that he will take traffic school.  We would appreciate prayers of favor for the sonshine that both the prosecuting attorney and judge would show grace and mercy as it is his first ticket. 
  • I'm posting October classes for The Artroom today. The home school group that meets each Thursday has been robust and a sweet blessing to my soul and I would ask for prayer over the after school program for Fridays and the other class endeavors that I will offer.
  • We head back to Wagner early birdy on Friday morning so we can get there in time for a catnap and to do Open Artroom Friday afternoon. This time Tedster is going with us and I can not praise the Lord more for another driver but in reality to have him be a part of the journey,  I am still collecting new socks and gently used tennis shoes to take to Wagner & would adore your donations.   


No comments:

Post a Comment