Friday, October 12, 2018

The Case of the Hiccups





This past week has been a whirl of teaching art classes. hearing the word "hiccup" from the Lord, and having three meals with three friends that brought light, love, and laughter to my weary spirit. Here's how all filled my spirit and let me flow with grace, light, and purpose.
to church it
A hiccup is defined two ways in Websters; as a noun or verb.  The noun definition says a hiccup is an involuntary spasm of the diaphragm and respiratory organs, with a sudden closure of the glottis and a characteristic sound like that of a cough".  Listen to what the verb definition of hiccup is "suffer from or make the sound of a hiccup or series of hiccups".  A hiccup is nothing more than a reoccurring sound . It does not a trickle, ripple, or flow which are words I had earlier this year and dealt with me allowing myself to walk in a way with the Lord that let me be open to the Holy Spirit and see with eyes wide open, hear with ears that amplfy, and have my heart broken by the world around me.

Let's get back to "hiccup".  I felt like a hiccup is more distracting, annoying that "incidentals" of life that could be as simple as having your ice cream melt and drip on your hand.  A hiccup bring a sense of fear, staggers your light, and serves to interrupt the peace, trust, and love of Abba.  

This week was filled with "hiccups".  Sunday I woke up with that word "hiccup" and God told me to get ready for church, praise him, and let him refill the cracks that the world had thrown my way.  It was raining heavy and I thought of just laying there, awake, in bed, and heard "hiccup" again.  Ok, got in the car and it ran rough and I heard "hiccup" but we got going and had a red light as we went to turn onto the highway.  Then the car died and each time the hubs went to restart it it would die and in my head I hear "hiccup, hiccup, hiccup".  A gal that I knew from years past pulled alongside us and tried to help us which the hubs passes on three times "hiccup, hiccup, hiccup".  I started to pray "Father stop the hiccups and bring favor, daddy, we need your favor to get the car out of the road and back home".  The hubs and I traded spots and with another guy they pushed the car around the intersection so we were headed home.  Did I mention the car is stick...yeah, for me "hiccup".  The hubs got in the car and started it and it ran all the way home in a the pouring rain. Got it home and I asked for him to get our daughters car keys to go see if my car was still parked outside our mechanics shop; "hiccup".  He got the keys and said "we can't take her car church its got transmission issues" as he got in beside me ; "hiccup".  I shared we were going to drive to the mechanic for the Sandymobile "hiccup" that had no a/c but would get us to church if it was parked outside ; hiccup, hiccup, hiccup.  Got to the shop, hopped in the Sandymobile, and got to church late but we got there safely.  

Do you get the understanding of what a "hiccup" means? It means taking three cars to just go praise the Lord on a  rainy Sunday morning that is chilly and humid all at once.  Hiccup is the way life is in the world.  It is filled with hiccups of one sort or another.  Hiccups bring fear, doubt, and I go to my fav self doubt.  The difference this week was that God called it out for what it is.  Car problems, delays, and oh mys can plague us or make us.  If we allow a "hiccup" to continue without praise, trust, and light it will continue to happen.  If we see it as the world, acknowledge who our Heavenly Daddy is , and then trust him to grant favor it is so.  Hiccups in life seek to throw me off, drive fear and misbeliefs, and be barriers to the light. I got the chance this week to see that my hiccups are Gods glory.  Its like he laughs and tells me " Your hiccups, Sherry, they're annoying and scary for you but to me they are just hiccups walk in my light, delight in my favor, and radiate me, Sherry".  

Now back to eating this week.  I've had a case of the "hiccups" this week trying to schedule things, having things cancelled, or not turn out as I wanted.  And, truth be told when I went with each of my friends this week I thought '; you don't have time for this,  had nausea, you don't have money for this, stay in or you'll be too tired to go to South Dakota.  Something inside told me that I needed to see each friend because they would recharge my light & delight in the Lord.  There is nothing finer than women that have been through rough things, that are transparent, love the Lord and know Him, and that know the world is menacing but choose light that is the Lord.

The last hiccups came in on Wednesday afternoon when my art class in KC that I teach was cancelled and rescheduled for next month.  It gave me the opportunity to leave Thursday afternoon for South Dakota rather than at 2am on Friday.  I praised the Lord for it but heard "no one wants you, no one cares, you can't teach art, you don't know" and I stopped the darkness and said "ohh, yeah, I do know, I know the truth, I know I am a beloved daughter of the Father and he shows his favor to me" and those hiccups stopped.  

Thursday morning I woke at 5 am and thought it was just the thrill of teaching art class and then getting to go to South Dakota.  I felt like I needed to pack the Sandymobile up which the darling dot and I dd.  There were a few supplies and a couple of coats that were left but there would be time after the kid artists left my studio.  I head "pack it all now or it will stay here".  I thought that was another round of "hiccups" so I ignored it.  During art class my neighborhood was shut down by the police, we were told there was an active shooter in my neighborhood and to close my garage door and get the kid artists inside. We were given the ok to leave the neighborhood when one mom advocated that her kids were at art class with Sherry Snider.  They allowed her to go to my home and tell us that we needed to leave. Sweet blessing was in that moment when the garage door was down and we were in the art studio I heard "pray " and we did before each family went out, got loaded up, and left the neighborhood.  One kid artist was left and I told her to get in my car as Emily shut the garage door.  As we waited for Emily the SWAT team for the sheriffs department, K-9 unit, and local police passed by with riffles and glanced at us.  The K-9 went across my street to my neighbors back yard and began barking.  I began to think do I do, Lord, there's this little girl in my car and my own girl is in the house, should I go without Emily....hiccup, hiccup, hiccup.  Instead I found peace through the barking, peace that we were covered as we prayed, and Emily got in the car.  To God's glory the families from art class decided to meet at the frozen custard shop and had told Emily.  We got out kid artist reunited with her mom, collected three more pairs of tennis shoes, and left town earlier than we thought.

We stopped to pick up more shoes in Lee's Summit and Emily realized she hadn't packed her church clothes for Sunday...hiccup.  Well, our shoe pick up was at Claudias Closet so we could just buy her an outfit. I had left my tip jar and all my class money in my art room; hiccup but had deposited Etsy money in the bank on Wednesday. We repacked the Sandymobile in the parking lot, said a prayer, and the gas light came on, hiccup.  Got gas nearby and then the Sandymobile started to run rough, hiccup.  We kept going to Scraps KC to get a few materials for Open Artroom in South Dakota, and it died as I went to put it in park at the shop, hiccup.  I restarted it and it dies again, and again, hiccup, hiccup.  We got the supplies and drove to get fuel injector cleaner, hiccup.  By the time we got on the freeway it was 5pm rush hour, hiccup, with a car that dies when its not accelerating, hiccup.  I prayed "Daddy I want your favor and light to shine in this very moment.  I want the fuel injector to work and I don't want to dear my drive" and the car didn't die again.  It sounded rough all the way to KC airport and then I realized that it was just the road not the car and I could praise God for light.

And, yes, there were hiccups but we got to Wagner which is part of what God calls my "my training ground". When we got to the church we realized we had no key for the bedroom, hiccup.  Dale went to crawl through a small window and realized he was scared on how to land, hiccup.  Emily was going to try but she's got epilepsy, hiccup.  I tried to pick the lock with my debit card but felt there was a barrier at the lock, hiccup.  We sent a text to our friend and he got us the key to the bedroom door and we could praise God for keys.  


I'm thankful this morning when Dale's alarm went off at 5am, hiccup.  It woke me up as the kids slept and I could praise walk through the church.  I got a chance to send a couple emails and then started to write this blog.  I giggle as I looked up the definition of hiccup and delighted at what i found.  I'm hopeful that we can do Open Artroom this afternoon and that there will be kids that come out.  Could you pray for that for me, for the kids in our crew, and the other kids in this community and my own back home?  That light would radiation from the ATF church that comes through creativity, faith, and love of God.  That the Sandymobile parked in front would be enough to let kids know we are here and that the sign we will put out this morning would help draw them out too.  

May you find the incidentals in life God's glory.  May the hiccups give you the giggles of delight that is our birthright as sons and daughters. 

Peace be with you- Sherry

Update

  • I left my tip jar from my art room at my home yesterday.  If you would like to donate to help with incidentals while we are in Wagner or on the way home feel free to use Paypal; sherryboberry2@yahoo.com .  Please pray for myself, Dale, and precious Emily that we be radiant lightbearers.  





No comments:

Post a Comment