Friday, January 23, 2015

Little Red Hen Moments

Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.  Proverbs 12:15



When I was a kid one of the joys of my world was going to visit and stay with my Grandpa & Grandma Hout in the summer.  My brother, David, and I went for a week or two at the most every summer.  And even when David decided he was too old and stayed home I went and stayed with them.   They lived out on a farm in rural Iowa when I was little and then moved to town when I was in late elementary school.

It is through my summers with my grandparents that I learned that there was more than one way to do things.  There are lots of memories that I have from being with my grandparents in the summer.  I, the city gal, was actually surrounded by nature and loved it.  I got to drive a little tractor, in reality, that it was a rider lawn mower but my Grandpa Hout told me it was a "little tractor just for me". I honestly had never seen a rider mower and didn't know the difference.   I learned to sew in my Grandma Hout's sewing room. My mom didn't have a sewing room and rarely used her sewing machine.  I watched shows like Flipper and Green Acres that were on in the afternoons on their one tv set....we had three at our house and I loved each and every moment of it.

I should correct that....I loved most of the moments with my grandparents.  I was a head strong gal even as a little kid.  My grandpa was not into sass, opinionated kids (if their opinions differed from his), and didn't share the same style of doing things like I did at home.  A perfect example of this is the infamous "spaghetti dinner" he and grandma made for us.  They had forgot to buy spaghetti sauce at the store (that was about 30 minutes from the farm).  So, grandpa, decided to use bar-b-que sauce instead.  I saw him do it and refused to eat (my wiser older brother just said that he wasn't hungry).  But me, nope, I told grandpa, "I'm not gonna eat that!  That is wrong!  You made it all wrong and we aren't gonna eat something that is wrong!".  Ok, it escalated from there and my grandpa wound up saying he was going to spank me.  We actually chased through the old farm house, outside, until my grandma grabbed me and took me to her room and locked the door.  She told me that there was more than one way to do things and that I broke her heart by being so mean with my words.  That stung more than a spanking to me that I hurt my grandma who loved me so.  But not enough to say I was wrong to my grandpa but I did tell him that I was sorry that he chased me around the house and that I loved him.

When I got home with my parents I was still mad about it all.  I told them all about the spaghetti, what I said, and that my grandpa dared to spank me.  My dad stopped me and told me that I was in the wrong.  He said there was more than one way to do things in the world and lots of people did things differently than we did.  He told me that they weren't wrong and that I could actually learn something from watching them.  Then he said, "Sherry, there are lots of ways to do things and the Dickey (my maiden name) way which is the right way".  Yeah, that kind of ruined his awesome talk.  From then on I actually took it that there were lots of ways to do stuff but the right way was my way.

I actually went all through school, college, marriage, and motherhood with that philosophy.  That there were lots of ways to do things but my way was the right way.  Just ask poor Ted that has dealt with me for over twenty years and my kids that have been along for the "little red hen" moments.  That is why it is so appropriate that I found this scripture this week, "  Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others".  Proverbs 12:15

If I had just listened to others in my life I wouldn't have made some of the major mistakes that I have.  I would have appreciated my friends, my parents, bosses, and others along the way so much more.  Within the past few years I actually have been letting lose of my controlling "my way" attitude and actions.  This past year though, has literally, made me see what a "fool" I've been.  Instead of asking for help, where to get things, or how to do them I've wasted time, energy, and focus trying to do it all.  Remember my "little red hen" name that my family gave me?  Well, that's me and at my best I'm nice about it and at my worst condescending, ridiculing, and mean.  And, when I'm at my worst I always tend to think that if "they would just listen to me" it would have worked out swell instead of the boggled down mess that things have turned into.

Here's been my challenge to myself this past couple of months is to :  Let things go and totally rely on God and who he brings into my world to help me.  Wowsies, that is a tall order for a "little red hen" but I've been doing it! And, finding that each time I let it go for God to help and handle things that 1. they get handled, 2. not always in the way the "little red hen" would have done it but they are done in a far more remarkable, kind, and caring way.

Yeah, I'm "little red hen" enough to share that I've prayed in the past for my words and actions to be pleasing to God.  But what I forgot along the way is to ask God to allow me to be gracious and accepting of others, their help, and their faith.  That is what I've been asking for these past couple of months and God has heard me loud & clear.  He realizes that I'm done with me "foolish" ways and ready to listen and accept others like I've never done before.

This week may you be able to start to release your "little red hen" and allow those around you that care and love you take care of things.  Let your kids make their own breakfast (poptarts & cereal aren't the worst things in the world), let your spouse do the dishes (yeah, that's a hint to Ted), and be gracious for the moments that your family and friends share their care and concern for you.  When you do that you will find a remarkable "wisdom" that God will bless you with.

Blessings -Sherry

Update:

  • My next doctor's appointment is on February 16 and it is going to be all right, remarkable, and a joy to go to.  I've got a series of these visits to do this year and I'm thankful to be able to go.
  • Emily is officially withdrawn from Fontbonne.  She is helping me here at the house as I recover and I'm blessed to have her.  She reminds me of my mom so much.  I literally started to cry yesterday after she brought in my "Sandy Blanket" that she freshly washed and dried for me.  I told her that there have been times that I wish and pray for my mom to be here and help me but I've had to let that go because she can't.  I shared with Em how God blessed me with her to be like my mom who is caring, takes care of the small stuff (laundry, dishes, algebra homework assistance for Dale) and that loves me.  And I hugged and thanked her....she of course got the Kleenex and told me "here your eyes are getting red and your nose is getting runny"....that's what my mom always says....love it!
  • Emily is working on getting into her doctor to get a letter that states she can successfully go into nursing as a job.  With that letter she can get a small scholarship with Voc Rehab and they will pay for her books.  Once that is done she can look into seeing how to use her A+ scholarship and getting admitted into Longview.  
  • Dale has started to play his guitar again this week.  He stopped this fall  because he was having to help me so much and be responsible for a lot of stuff here at the house.  One of my joys this week has been to hear him play again.
  • Please pray for Ted & I.  We are working through our finances.  We generally are able to afford our bills, mortgage, and health insurance but with my additional doctor's visits and medicine it is going to be tight which is scary for both of us.
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment