Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Listen Up

My child listen and be wise : keep your heart on the right course.  Proverbs 23:19




Remember the quiet game as a kid?  It's when you see who can be the quietest the longest?  Yeah, I was always the loser in less than a minute.  I remember being little and having my parents tell me to listen.  Then growing up, going to school, and needing to "listen" to not only my parents but my teachers, bosses, and peers.   It may sound a little crazy but at times I wondered whose gonna listen to me. 

As a kiddo I found that my neighbor lady, Ginny Brown, was a great listener.  She would come over in the mornings with a whole day of fun planned for she and I. We'd ride around Des Moines in her little red bug convertible and talk.  She listened to my dreams of wanting to be creative and teach. My Grandma Hout was a good listener but she lived several hours away from me.  Once I learned to write I would pour out what was going on to her in letters. Those letters contained my heartfelt emotions, fears, and hurts that I didn't tell my friends or family....they were safe with my Grandma Hout though.  And, of course, there was my dad.  Yeah, whose dad listens to them growing up?  Mine did once I was in junior high.  We became pals by the time I went to college.  I didn't always like or approve of what he did in his life and vice versa.  God paired me with a great listener with my dad.

If I look back on all three of those great listeners in my life I would have to say that they have three characteristics: 1. ability to just listen, 2. ability to not give advice or try to fix what was going on, 3. each loved God through their ability to listen & prayed for me.

This past month I've been battling myself once again.  Why?  Because I want to be a "listener" and to shut up if I'm being honest.  I found myself this week feeling less than when my own kids wanted to talk with me.  Instead of shutting up what did I do?  I became defensive, tried to solve the problem and forgot about compromise & listening.  For goodness sake they are my kids with a problem I need to solve it for them, right?  And, I cringe....ugh.  I need to listen and then take their issue, problem, or fear & give it to the Lord.  I need to listen to the good, great, and outstanding that is going on in their lives and give God praise for it.  Notice how that all starts with listening? 

My challenge this past month was to silence myself.  That's not easy for someone that love, love, loves to talk.  Shoot, as a kid I used to just pick up the phone and talk...but I digress.  I need to learn to value the people around me enough to listen.  I surround myself with my family, creative peeps, and friends.  They deserve a "silent Sherry", one that will listen to them, be there for them silently, and one that they know they can rely on through her faithful prayers.

At this point in life I'm older and bolder.  What's that mean?  I'm living the life of my dreams creatively.  I know what I stand for, what I'll allow, and the things that define who I am.  I do all right at silencing the noise in my own head & listening for God's directions....and he hasn't failed me.  I've heard him the last month telling me to silence myself and listen....ohh, that's hard.  But I feel like he's got something in store for me if I do it that is more splendid than I could imagine. Now, to stop talking about it and silence myself. 

What about you?  Have you ever thought that if you were silent when someone came to talk to you, absorbed what they were saying, and prayed it might be a different conversation.  What about a different relationship for you both and with God....that would be outstanding!  Now, to silence me and listen to Him for the day.

Peace Be With You- Sherry



Updates:

  • I'm really opening myself up by having an Open Artroom each Wednesday from 10-3. I want my artroom to be a sanctuary of creativity, freedom, and encouragement.  
  • The workshops that I've held have been fab.  People are coming and it has been marvy!  I've had people contact me about doing classes for groups....that's a little scary but amazing...God is good.
  • I've stepped outta my comfort zone to go to City Market in KC each Sunday to talk with people, share my faith with what I do, and listen....it's been fab.  Tedster hasn't been so sure it's the right thing to do but last week he paid for my spot & reserved it for next week because he can see something awesome happening.  
  • Pray for Em this week as she takes her finals on Thursday & she's super nervous about it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment