Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Reassurance Through Resilience.





I remember being a kid and feeling invincible.  With my first set of car keys that invincible feeling got even stronger.  Once I became a mom invincibility seemed a thing of the past. I needed to be responsible, reliable, and resilient.  Those are the three things that my kids gifted me with learning through the years.  For me invincibility of youth refined itself into resilience as an adult.

This past week a friend got a hold of me.  She told me she was praying for me, sorry for the miles between us, and that she loves to see my resilience no matter what life throws at me.  She said that I always roll with life with grace.  It took me back.  Why?  Well, it's hard to take compliment....anyone else have that problem?  Secondly, since my last infusion I feel like the life has been sucked out of me and my ability to be resilient, graceful, or reliable.

I was reminded of  Ephesians 6: 10-18.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.  Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.  Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.
In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.  Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.  And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
  
This morning I'm getting ready to head to KC for another infusion and feel the weight of life on me.  I'm achy, tired, and whiny.  I don't want to get out of my jammies let alone put on the "armor of God" and take it all the way to KC.  Then I'm reminded in God's subtle way as I read through the last of Ephesians 6:10-18 "to take up the shield of faith".  A shield would be lighter weight than armor, right? Let's see it also recommends a "helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God".  I feel encouraged at this point because I wear hats most days to cover my head.  The English major that I was once reminds me of the quote about the pen being mightier than the sword and I think of how I take & journal on infusion days.  How I write out silent prayers to my Heavenly Father to take the burden, the hurt, and the pain that I feel physically & emotionally from my spirit and grant me peace. 

Perhaps, my subtle reminder from Ephesians 6:10-18 can be one for you in your life. You may not feel like you can handle the armour of God, the shield, helmet, or arrow.  You may carry life with you each day through how you react to your situations rather than God's tools. I've been there and done that.  I would encourage you to dialog with your Heavenly Father this week when the burdens and stress of life is too much to carry.  Here's my prayer from my journal last week: " Heavenly Father you must pick me up, invade my thoughts, and provoke persistence that is relentless to fight, go, and take it on.  For your light to shine through every fiber of my spirit.  That you grant me peace and rest.  In your holy & precious name....amen". 

That prayer is how I found my resilience last week and this week.  Through reading Ephesians 6:10-18 each day I found resilience.  And, this morning, I would rather whine & pout but God's light doesn't shine through that.... and as a girl after God's heart I silence it and put on my hat to head to the city.

Peace be with you- Sherry

Updates:

  • Last week my tests showed that my ulcer was opening up.  I was told to go home, rest, and de-stress. For once in my in my life I'm truly trying to not thrive on the stress but to relent it all to God. 
  • Emily goes to her neurologist on Wednesday of this week.  Pray that I can get her there safe & sound. 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment