Friday, December 4, 2015

Potty Mouth Slayer

"You are not only responsible for what you say, but also for what you do not say"- Martin Luther.



A few years ago I overheard Dale, my son, as he was playing a video game with a friend.  And, then I heard it....let's just say an unmentionable word come out of my son's mouth.  I waited, listened more, yeah, I'm sneaky like that, on the chance I hadn't heard it.  But then again it popped out and this time I was going to confront it head on.  As I talked with Dale he told me where he heard the word and called his mama out.  He called me a "potty mouth sayer".  Ohh, kids!  They also make you have to think, right?  As I told a gal pal about it she suggested that I go back to Dale and tell that it was true that I was a "potty mouth sayer" but I was going change and become the "potty mouth slayer" starting with him.  And, you know what it worked for both Dale & I.

I came across this quote from Martin Luther this week and have been journaling every since.  It could be taken in so many ways in my life.  It's basis sounds a lot like what I've been saying around the house lately to my kids, "You talk the talk you walk the walk".  Meaning that it isn't always our words that we've got to have a grip on we also need to do what we say and follow through.

Follow through has been coming slow and steady for me since the past month.  I've been approved for insurance but my doctor's office wants the actual card in hand in order to make an appointment.  And, yes, I've been on the phone to see when the cards are coming, to talk to a cancer counselor on the phone to cry because of the sheer frustration and weariness I've got with my health.

I'm in a waiting game...ever had one of those? You are prepped, talked a good game, and ready to go and then something beyond your control stalls you from going onward.  For me that makes me question whether or not to go back to my cancer doc or find a new one.  It makes me think maybe I should go a homeopathic route since after about a month of being on my meds again they are literally making me feel sicker and I feel more tired than I've ever been.  Maybe if I just prayed enough and trusted God enough I wouldn't have gotten ovarian cancer, wouldn't have cysts in my intestines that keep coming back, and wouldn't have the problems I do.  Did I mention that I'm tired right now and getting whiny....sorry.

Well, this is what I think Martin Luther's words mean to me in this season.  It has nothing about walking the walking or talking the talk.  It has everything to do with finding serenity in the moment and thanking God for them.  It has everything to do with resting and finding solace in resting and not being "busy".  It has everything to do in me realizing the little girl with a smart mouth is still there but she's grown into a smart, capable and woman of integrity & honesty. Through my integrity and honesty I'm able to show God's love whether that be writing a blog, a message on FB, or finding solace in creativity in my artroom.  It's learning to be content that I don't have to "do" big things but the smalls really do matter. Ohh, wowsies....big sigh.

This weekend I'm hunkering down and going to be like a bear.....that means hibernating.  I desperately have needed to sleep this week and rest to re-charge. It means finding the joys in the smalls that I can do through my words & actions daily.  And, shining God's light even when I'm exhausted through my words and actions. Will you take the challenge of finding the small joys, re-charging, and radiating God's love via your words and actions?



Peace be with you- Sherry

Updates:

  • I was blessed to go help at my local food pantry this week.  It was remarkable to see the large volume of food available and distributed within my small town.  It give new meaning to the words "feed the need". 
  • After a couple of weeks on my meds the nausea I experienced without them was nothing to compared to with them.  I know in my heart and mind I need to keep them up.  Pray that I gain  inner strength through this season of my life and knowledge that even on the worst of days God is by my side.
  • Emily got to get her blood drawn at the KC Care Clinic this week and they are more than willing to send the results to her neurologist and work together in her care.  Pray that the results come and they are able to get her meds regulated so she stays seizure free.  
  • My birthday is on December 16!  I would love to have some newbie stuff for the artroom to help me.  The two things that I would love is a 24 pack of water for the frig and a set of speakers for the computer in the artroom.  
  







No comments:

Post a Comment