Monday, December 22, 2014

Team Spirit

 Team Spirit

Matthew 6:26-27  " Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?  Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life".

 Wowsies, I've been overwhelmed the past couple of weeks by realizing that although God is with me....and you too.  That He has sent a brigade of cheerleaders my way to encourage, help, and pray for me and my family.  And, because I feel God's hands in this I've accepted each encouraging word, meal, prayer with a welcoming spirit that I never realized that I had.  

I'm grateful and encouraged to keep going daily because I feel it within my soul.  I don't know how we are going to pay the bills, if Em's appeal for this semester, or what the biopsies from my surgery will bring but what I stand firm daily in is God does.  I find myself daily going to the "pity potty" to cry and talk with God about my fears.  And, coming away from that time with the overwhelming knowing that I don't know anything.  But I'm blessed by God's grace and spirit that thrives within me to have comfort in my soul that God knows and has it.

This past week Ted shared with me how depressed he is.  He doesn't have the money to simply write checks that won't bounce for things like the mortgage, insurance, utilities, my surgery and Em's college.  He is caught up in all the here and now and is forgetting God is here with us, holds the future, and has long ago forgiven the past.  When I met him I realized he was a WIP (work in progress) and even told the pastor that counseled us that I could see what a smart, capable, patient, and loving man Ted is and I prayed that one day he would too.  That pastor looked at Ted and said, "You've got the best cheerleader in the world sitting next to you if you will let her".  And, I've done the cheerleading for over 20 years....eeek, wowsies how time flies.

But we are at a point in our relationship that the future is uncertain.  Both of us are plagued by "what ifs" or "how to's" daily.  I even made a journal of bills, contact numbers, and what to pay when for Ted a couple of months ago.  I did it to help him because so many times right now I'm feeling bad and can't do it.  I thought it would be a handy dandy guide to help him but instead it fueled the uncertainty of our world in his heart and spirit. I think if Ted were honest he is scared of how to deal with all the finances, kids, pets, and us.  And if he looked into his heart he is scared of loosing his "cheerleader" that's been around for 20+ years that loved him through all the good, bad, and crazy.  That is what has him depressed.  

I've tried last week to pray with him, help him to pay the mortgage with my earnings, and then went upstairs to the heating pad, a pain pill, and some rest.  I'm not the gal he met 20+ years ago at a "social gathering" at Chuck's house.  I'm wiser with my words, slower to anger, and kinder.  I've had to take a step back over the course of the year and instead of being the leader be absolutely good with being a follower....and let me tell you that has been hard.  But in the past couple of months as I feel worse I'm thrilled to still be included.  As I write this I mourn in my spirit for Ted to have the "Sherry" that he knows and loves back full force but know that won't be for at least a couple of months.

What I'm asking for from all of you this week is to not only pray for our family.  But pray for Ted's spirit to be able to lead our family fearless.  Why fearless?  Because we will all be aligned in our faith in God and allowing Him to work us through this.  Right now I'm blessed to be "fearless" most moments of the day and so are Emily and Dale.  Ted he's our standoff.  I need him to realize that his biggest "cheerleader" doesn't come in his wife or kids.  It is through Jesus. I know that Ted loves God and has given his life to Him.  But I pray this Christmas that Ted allows God to be his "cheerleader" and live fearless.

The scripture above is one that is near and dear to my heart.  It helped get me through on the best and worst of days when Ted went back to college and I was responsible for the bills, the kids, and being the cheerleader.  I pray today that this verse brings you comfort in your world as we all need a "cheerleader" and the realization that Christ has the ultimate cheer squad with God our heavenly father, and the Hold Spirit that resides in our hearts and minds.  I pray this small prayer this week for each of you "I have spirit how 'bout you?" and with that "I pray you do".  


Weekly Update:

*We met about our health insurance and are doing a second meeting on Christmas Eve to make sure that it is all done the best it can be.

*We are blessed that a group of my kiddos teachers took on the job of making sure that Dale and Emily will have some gifts this Christmas. When I asked the kiddos what they would want they both said "We want you well, mom".  But two days later Dale asked if their offer still held and said, "you can never go wrong with Legos"....I absolutely adore seeing Dale not being gloomy but kind of excited.

*We got the cleaning supplies and Em has my home looking pretty good.  I'm so thankful to have the gal that brought the supplies over.  And Em who has taken on cleaning and organizing full force around here.

*Last week Em had a migraine several days and I felt cruddy.  I asked if anyone would bring dinner over and within 30 minutes it was handled.  Both dinners on Thursday and Friday nights were homemade and that was a blessing beyond what I could say.  
 
Top Needs For The Week:

*Pray for Ted right now.  We need him to lead our family right now, pray with us, and be there for us.  Pray that God encourages his spirit and provides him with feeling "fearless".  

*Pray that Emily's appeal is heard and decided on early on in January.  That way we will know if she can continue at Fontbonne or if we need to bring her home.  She is confident in either and told me that she wants me to get better.  I love that kid for being unselfish in a way that I never was at her age....she has taught me through her actions her whole life and I'm so glad that God blessed me with her.

*We could use a gas cards for Ted.  I need to make sure that he has gas to get to work through this month and into January.  He commutes to Shawnee for work daily during the week.   I know it is a worry of ours that if we pay for our monthly expenses and save for surgery how are we going to put gas in the car to get him to work or groceries.  If you want to do this to help Ted and our family let me know.

*If you would want to get a grocery card for Aldis or buy 5 items while you are at the grocery store this coming week that would rock.  I usually love grocery shopping, planning meals, and cooking....right now not so much. I can grocery shop and then cramp the rest of the day.   If you would be willing to do this that would help my family to be able to pay our monthly bills and save for my co-pay for my surgery.  That would be a blessing to our spirits. For Ted and I to know that there are groceries for the kids over Christmas break.  

**Optional- if you want to send a Christmas card, an encouraging message, or anything that you can think of....do it!  All those small things are my "cheerleaders" in the world right now.  They allow me to know that it is not just my family that cares but that I've got a whole team that loves the Lord that is in this with us.  

Throughout the week be sure to show your "team spirit" where you go and to who you meet. 

Blessings -Sherry








   

1 comment: